Blog of Martin and Lucy Ryan

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spring is in the Air

Spring is well and truly here.  Today the winds and rains arrived to get rid of any Wintry remains.  Hopefully, the real Summery stuff will soon be upon us. 

Martin and I have been feeling busier and busier lately.  Maybe it's because we know that in about four weeks time, we won't have the time we have now to do whatever we want, whenever we want.  Having said that, it's a Sunday afternoon and Martin is snoozing on the couch and I'm surfing the internet.  Not so busy today obviously.

We began a NCT (Nation Childhood Trust) antenatal class three weeks ago.  The class has eight couples and a really good presenter.  She knows her stuff.  As a result, we are feeling a lot more confident about having our baby over here in Kingston Hospital in the NHS system.  We will have a doula with us which is going to be wonderful.  (http://www.doula.org.uk/content/duk/about/default.asp)  The group is encouraged to 'bond'.  The boys went out last week and it's the ladies turn this week. 

Last Saturday we went into London, to Southbank, and met my cousins for lunch.  Following this Martin and I went on a mission to find him a new top at Covent Garden.  Then, exhausted from the crowds and walking and dodging, we decided to battle the tourists and catch a tube from Leicester Square station to Waterloo.  Whilst looking for the correct gate, a London newbie walked right across my path and proceeded to park her little blue wheeled suitcase directly in front of my feet.  Of course, I didn't see this until I was flying over it!  I landed miraculously on my left side, flat out.  Martin, full of concern, quickly helped me to my feet as I brushed off the queries of random strangers.  We ducked around a corner where I promptly burst into tears!  It was such a shock. 
Tip for those of you traveling to London:  If wheeling a suitcase, bring it in close when you stop!  Very simple. 
Anyway, the baby was fine and kicking away.  On Sunday morning we decided to go to the hospital to have it monitored though as I was a bit concerned and worried.  Turns out that a Sunday is the day the baby likes to have a bit of a sleep in.   Go figure, as that is my earliest day of the week due to getting up for Church and racing for a bus.

 As is predictable at this point in a pregnancy, I am consumed with thoughts about the baby and being ready and all else.  We can't wait for the arrival!  We are very fortunate to have several friends, new and old over here who have had babies in the last year. 

My mother is coming over for a month at the end of June.  We'll also have a cousin staying for a few days.  Then at the end of the year (almost) Martin's parents are coming to stay too.  More arrivals we are very much looking forward to.

My writing is going well (www.lucyryan.com).  I am currently matching a manuscript up with the right publishers.  Then I'm going to cross my fingers and send it out there!  Who knows!
I belong to a writer's group which meets every third Friday of the month.  It's a great place for contacts and knowledge about the industry and also for feedback on stories as we all take turns to read something out.  That's a bit scary!  Good practice though.  Incidentally, Jacqueline Wilson (children's author) lives nearby and is the president of this group.  She doesn't come to the meetings though!  Maybe I could write her a letter...

Martin is curled up on the one seater and I can just see myself placing little baby Ryan in his arms to nap with him.  Ohhh, cute.

We have many travel plans but they are all for later as you can well imagine--so that's about it for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bex said...

Love your update. Fingers crossed for you and your book - you are a very talented woman! :-)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home